Thursday 8 July 2010

Fitting a Tackle Box

I spent weeks finding a tackle box to fit into the well of my Prowler Trident 13.
Some U.S. anglers use a Plano 1612 or a Flambeau 1408 dry boxes.
These boxes fit into the well perfectly and I've had yet another task to find one here in the U.K.

Whilst flicking through saltwateryakfisherman.blogspot.com post I saw that he had a box fitted to his kayak and after some time looking through his older posts he had quoted that he purchased his Flambeau from Solent Plastics.
I'd previously had been looking on this site and somehow missed seeing it advertised.
The box was a titled Zerust Flambeau marine box. So a quick phone call and one was purchased and on its way.





I had one small problem! They now only supply it in Brown!
.....BROWN! ....YUCK! ....NO WAY!
Well the box it serves its purpose and the seat and crate will hide it anyway!
I may change it if I come across another colour.




Now how do I fix this down and stop it falling out?

The stock bungee that is fitted to this well is too tight to fit over the box and if it was fitted I wouldn't be able to access it without removing the bungee so I planed to remove it and find another way of attaching the box.

In the end I decided to leave the stock bungee in place and sat the box in between the two cords. I then fixed 2x pad eyes, one to either side of the box using tri-fold rivets and used 4mm bungee cord and hooks attached to the pad eyes. I can now secure the box to my seat rear attachment pad eyes.




Job done.

2 comments:

  1. Looking good, keeps the posts coming !!

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. wondering the quality of the box? Is it pretty durable?

    Would you say it is "cooler strength" or is it more like a plastic storage bin for the closet? I'm thinking of using these as motorcycle luggage, but have never seen one up close.

    ReplyDelete