Friday 9 July 2010

A Trip Upon The River Thames Monday 5th July 2010

With a chat on the phone with Rob over the previous week we planned a trip for days paddling upon The River Thames.






I loaded up the car on Sunday night so all I had to do is pop the kayak on top of the car in the morning. I decided to set off to Robs in Uxbridge at 07:00 am to miss most of the traffic. I have done this journey at this time many times before and always had a clear run.
This time however was different.
After a slow plod at 35-40mph up the A2070 in a Que following a lorry I finally get outside Ashford.
Now do I go through Ashford to M20 Junction 9 or go to Junction 10 to bypass Ashford?
I know I will take the Junction 10 turning as traffic may start to build up in the town....
....Wrong move I'm stuck in traffic on the bypass due to road works and down to a single lane. Finally I get onto the M20 after 55 min which is usually a 25min journey.

Now I am running late. Never mind I still should be OK though as Im now on the Motorway.

It was a nice clear run up the M20 and I turned onto the M26 with a steady 70mph run then all of a sudden gridlock. Oh No!  I've still got 55 miles to go! At a stop start speed! Not Impressed!

My 1hr 45min journey ended up being a 3hr 15min one. Oh well at least I got there in the end and the days paddling we had more than made up for it.





We put Robs kayak on the roof and headed for Walton Bridge where we parked up and launched our kayaks.




It couldn't of been a nicer day. We ended up paddling about 8 miles taking in the scenery, messing about in a few weirs and topping up our tans. Shame I didn't take a rod.





Once again it was time to head back to the cars, pack up the gear and head home.

No comments:

Post a Comment