Wednesday 7 July 2010

Making a Crate for the Prowler Trident 13

After a lot of thinking on finding a way to store tackle and gear I decided on going down the route of many other Kayak anglers and build a Crate.

Many of the U.S. anglers use a milk crate which is unobtainable in the U.K. So I set out to find another type of crate which would fit into my New Prowler Trident 13.

After a bit of searching around I found some fold up crate in Argos made by Really Useful Boxes and £6.99 for three. These fitted into the rear tank well perfect.
I had also decided to attach some rod holders to the crate to keep the rods out of the way whilst paddling and not in use.
Waste pipe and clips was my first option but looked a bit untidy.
I remembered seeing some rod holders in the local tackle shop. So I purchased them.
Berkley triple rod holders for £11.99 They fit inside the crate like a glove.
Now to fix everything together.




I had an idea of mounting 12mm ply board varnished to the side of the crate and then mount the holders to the ply. This seemed to add a lot of weight to the crate. I had to come up with another idea.

I decided to use some UPVC sofit boarding that I had laying around, this is much lighter and once fixed together with stainless nuts and bolts and fixings is now very strong and hopefully corrosion free.
I have also added a UPVC board to the opposite end and a divider to separate my items such as my anchor. The Crate is now fixed and non folding which prevents it from accidentally collapsing up whilst in use.






No comments:

Post a Comment